Memorials are gifts given in memory of someone who has died. To start a memorial giving program, let people know (through your newsletter, direct mail, press releases, and so on) that such a program is available. When you receive a gift, thank the donor and send an announcement to the family of the deceased.
- It's one of the easiest ways to raise funds.
- Little labor or cash is required.
- It helps build your mailing list.
- It can generate a steady income stream.
- Gifts tend to be small.
- It takes time and patience to develop such a program.
TIPS TO REMEMBER
- Be prompt in sending donor thank-you cards and announcements to the deceased person's family.
- A memorial giving program works best in conjunction with a concerted public relations and marketing effort to increase your organization's visibility. (The exercises you completed in step 6 will be helpful here.)